We are proud of all of our posts here on RETROactive but, if you’re new to our blog and don’t have time to read every post, or you’re a long time follower looking for ways to convince your friends and family that they should also follow us (hint hint), below are links to our top 10 most popular posts. This top 10 has a great variety of topics – from ancient darts and atlatls and a mysterious sandstone shelter to Marilyn Monroe in Jasper – and everything in between. Enjoy!
1. Alberta’s Ancient Darts and Atlatl Hunting
The entrance to the Sunnyslope Sandstone Shelter (Alberta Culture, Historic Resources Management Branch, 2011).
3. The Tale of a Rusty Revolver
4. Alberta’s Victoria Settlement: Still A Special Place After 150 Years
Clerk’s quarters and trading shop at Fort Victoria, c. 1890. Provincial Archives of Alberta B.2406.
5. The Burmis Tree: The Most Photographed Tree in Alberta?
6. Alberta’s Wooden Country Grain Elevators
7. Alberta is Rich in Archaeology
Alberta Culture and Tourism staff members Robin Woywitka, Cultural Land Use Analyst, and Todd Kristensen, Northern Archaeologist, recording stratigraphy at an excavated site in the Fort McMurray region, October 2013. (Photo courtesy of Robin Woywitka.)
8. Blood Kettles and Buffalo Jumps: Communal Hunting on the Plains of Alberta
9. Big Game in Deep Time: 10,000 Years of Hunting in Alberta
10. Hollywood in the Canadian Rockies
Marilyn Monroe on the set of ‘River of No Return’, Jasper 1953. (Photo Credit: Ray O’Neill via Keith/Sean Allen collection)