Welcome to RETROactive, the official blog of the Historic Resources Management Branch of Alberta Culture and Tourism.
The Historic Resources Management Branch is responsible for the identification and conservation of historic resources in Alberta. Through the following programs, Alberta’s heritage is managed for the benefit and enjoyment of present and future generations.
- Historic Places Research and Designation Program: designates historic places as Provincial Historic Resources, maintains the Alberta Register of Historic Places, and lists Alberta historic places on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
- Municipal Heritage Partnership Program: provides advice, expertise and cost-shared funding to enable Alberta municipalities with the protection and conservation of local historic places.
- Alberta Main Street Program: facilitates a membership network and offers funding and expertise to municipalities to help restore historic integrity and architectural character to traditional main streets in Alberta.
- Heritage Conservation Advisory Services Program: provides advice on the proper conservation of historic places, the review and approval of proposed alterations to provincially designated historic places, and support for the Historic Resource Conservation grant programs of the Alberta Historical Resources Foundation.
- Provincial Heritage Survey Program: manages a collection of architectural and historical records documenting over 80,000 sites throughout Alberta.
- Geographical Names Program: coordinates the naming of geographical features in Alberta.
Program information and staff activities shared on RETROactive will highlight Alberta Culture and Tourism’s commitment to preserve and protect Alberta’s historic places. RETROactive will showcase the future of Alberta’s historic places.